2013-06-23

Taking pictures of people

Taking pictures of my all-african neiborhood is a task harder than expected. I quickly learned that most people here just hate to have their photo taken - and they let you know.

"What are these for?" - "With Facebook and stuff, we don't know where the picture can go" - or even worse, when I say that I'm a journalist : "Will you sell them?".

"I just want to picture the senegalese daily life, the senegalese culture. Don't you want the world to see it?", I usually reply. Then they ask for money. "10 000 f CFA [20 dollars] and you shoot whatever you want". Well, I rather not.

When you look like a white 24 years-old tourist, people don't believe you saying that you aren't rich at all. So pretty much each picture needs a deal. This can be really exhausting.

Summer solstice is being celebrated in the streets of Rebeuss. (June 22nd)

 People dance on the beats of tam-tams in a crowded tiny courtyard, just next door.

Sheeps, everywhere in Dakar.

A typical courtyard of a project-like appartment building.
There were a lot of people standing on the truck, but they started being hostile towards me when I tried to shoot them. "People are sensible", told me a senagalese journaliste when I explained what happened.

On the other hand, a lot of children love being photographed. They often stop you in order to pose properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment